Sunday, June 14, 2009

A Late Save


Pens Win!

Another weekend down. This one was pretty entertaining. Two friends in Streeterville had a house party for donations to a children's fund. As usual friends as well as strangers were there. Some people I didn't know were cool, while others were tools. One girl, from Minnesota, was pretty hot until she opened her mouth. Now I'm not sure what you think about race/gay/etc. jokes, but I generally think they can be funny. Mainly because the idea is destroy those very stereotypes, while hanging on to (sometimes, but not always) a little truth. For instance: I'm Asian, I majored in Math, and I just started to learn keyboard. That's a joke waiting to happen.

But back to the girl...She claimed that she can make gay jokes because her sister is a lesbian. Does it work that way? I'm thinking not. I know a Mexican guy and that doesn't give me a right to make Mexican joke, right? Weird, but whatever.
I also had a quick music conversations with a stranger who was a pretty nice guy. He mentioned that he really liked David Byrne's latest album, but he pronounced his last name as "Brynn," like Brynn-Mawr. Being that The Talking Heads are one of my favorite bands ever, I asked if he meant "Burn." He said that it was a common misconception about the pronunciation and he was right. I'm still thinking he's wrong; Can anyone verify?

Saturday was filled with disgusting rain until about 3pm, so I didn't do anything until my friend's birthday party. His party was at a bar in Streeterville, which I was definitely not excited about. I expected a lot of Affliction t shirts there. While I was pregaming at the apartment from the previous night, we were informed that the birthday boy was still throwing up from the previous night and wouldn't be going out. Even though I wanted to see him, this was an out for me. No birthday boy means I don't have to go to the bar. So I called some other friends and headed to (coincidentally) a different birthday party. The rest of the night was filled with booze and a jelly bean tray (and Michael Jackson).

It wouldn't be a YFW blog post if I didn't mention my dating anxiety. I sat across from a girl at the coffee shop I visit. I thought she looked a bit like Shannyn Sossamon, who I've liked since The Rules of Attraction. Though we were about 10 feet away from eachother, she never seemed to look up at me. I was hoping to make some eye contact, but it never happened. Next, I thought that I could start the conversation by saying I thought she looked like SS, or asking her what she was reading. Instead, I didn't do anything and left.
So two questions:

1) What would you have done (or thought was least weird if you're a girl)?
2) My friend said I should say anything because girls generally just like attention. Though this might help me gain a little confidence about the situation (currently I feel like I'm bothering everyone), how true is this?

2 comments:

  1. 1) Girls do like attention, but not from creepy guys. If you're going to approach her, don't be like, "Hey, hey you. What are you reading?" Lie your ass off and say you've read that book before and ask her if she likes it. If she asks you about it, say that you didn't get to finish it yet.

    2) As a girl who always dreams about being approached in a bookstore, I don't think I'd be creeped out by someone who showed an interest in either me or what I'm doing. But if I'm giving you one word answers and looking around panicked, read the signs and leave me alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was cheering for the Red Wings. :-(

    ReplyDelete