Sunday, November 15, 2009

Compatibility

Lately, I've been having a hard time meeting a girl who I'm compatible with. Concerning the girls I've taken on dates, either there wasn't much chemistry, or I was blindsided by their non-interest (Heidi).

I've probably gone on more dates in the last month than I have for my entire life (quick check: True). So this is a bit more rejection than I'm used to. Now I get the feeling that no matter how much I may have in common with someone, I'll still just be viewed as their Platonic friend.

For instance, my roommate had a good female friend visit for the weekend. Coincidentally, she has the same name as Heidi, so she'll be Heidi2. I didn't end up going out at night with them, but the three of us did some hanging out in the apartment. I understand that there's no formula for true compatibility, but our common interests ranged from the broad (surfing & photography) to the obscure (fans of Le Tigre and the Modern Lovers). No matter what, I can't picture Heidi2 thinking of me more than some goofy friend. Granted, this is a broad generalization, but it gets difficult when it's not question of compatibility, but it's something I'm doing.

In addition to the recent complaining, I decided to start deleting all the numbers of girls who've stopped calling me back. There went Sevilla, Heidi, Dana, and others. At least I won't send any embarrassing late night texts.
I was hoping Dana would come through, but it doesn't look like it'll happen. After calling twice with no response, she sent over a text message asking my weekend plans. I mentioned that my friend Rob was having a party and said she and her sister could come if they wanted. She said, "Sure," and that she would call. Didn't happen, though the party was still a good time. So now that I don't have her number, I can't appear too pathetic by bothering her. She has mine, so if she wants, she can make the call.

In other news, I watched the move The Brothers Bloom this weekend (on DVD). It stars Adrien Brody, Mark Ruffalo, and Rachel Weisz. It's about two brothers who are con men, and Weisz is the latest/last mark. I don't think the movie got a lot of press this last year because it's another indie flick, but it was really enjoyable. If you're bored roaming around the video store or on Netflix, check that one out.


So what do you think about this whole business of deleting numbers from your phone? Do you think it's necessary or juvenile? I'm not sure at times, and I think I've had to get people's phone numbers a second time. Usually I make up some excuse like I got a new phone. Holding back on contacting people can be hard.


Oh yeah, I saw the Walkmen (a sweet rock band) at Lincoln Hall on Friday. Easily the best sounding venue I've been to so far. The show was great, as I went with Kumar and Jay. Too bad it's located in the cesspool that is Lincoln Park...

3 comments:

  1. I don't use my cell anymore, but when I did I always kept every number just incase I needed it. I was like that. BUT I did accidentally call my boss' boss asking for one of my brothers friends because they have the same name. After that I ditched every number I would never call.

    I dated a guy for 7 months and 3 years later I finally deleted his number from my cell, buried all his stuff in a field and blocked him on facebook.

    I think its up to you to choose when you need to "clean up". :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are a number of factors that contribute to attraction and lead to someone being interested in a person.

    I've been single for over 4 years now, but gone on a lot of dates. Currently I'm kinda sort of seeing two different guys, casually... Both guys are great. I'm extremely happy when I'm with both of them... but even though it seems like everything is there, neither has been willing or wanting to actually commit to an exclusive relationship with me. (They're both seeing other people too. Casually of course.)

    As far as getting rid of numbers... I keep mine for a while, mainly just to have for the caller ID so I know when they call or text. But I do eventually get rid of them at some point.

    Anyway. You just got to keep putting yourself out there and keep taking risks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. go on more dates, keep expectations low, have fun, learn about yourself, and stop when it's too exhausting or you meet someone :)

    i don't delete phone numbers but definitely facebook friendships. that's enough to keep me moving forward and not looking back.

    ReplyDelete