Thursday, August 27, 2009

Good Idea? Bad Idea? New Game Plan

So CBD hasn't been working out for me. It's not that the dates are bad--there aren't any at all. So instead of tying up my free nights and having to explain to friends that I "may or may not be going on a date," I'll let it end.

Instead, I'm trying something new. A coworker said that if I don't meet any girls before Oct. 1, then she's going to have me make a match.com profile (and she'll help out, for what that's worth). I used to be adamantly opposed to taking dating sites seriously, but lately I've had a slight change of heart. I'd thought that there are some super important anti-nervous traits that I needed to get by meeting girls in person like a Josh Hartnett movie. Or that it's way too geeky. But a few things have come up that are making me rethink this:

-I haven't met girls in forever. All the ones I've met lately seemed to have boyfriends.
-I met a girl through a friend who talked about being on eHarmony. She was really good looking, but both not interested in me and didn't seem too bright.
-Maybe running with statistics isn't so bad.

I'm still pretty skeptical about it, but we'll see what happens. Or I grow a pair in the next 5 weeks.


Have you ever done online dating? Ever thought about? What was your experience?

4 comments:

  1. I haven't tried online dating, but I've given it some thought. A good friend of mine set up a Match.com profile and met some pretty cool guys through it. She's now seeing one of them regularly. One day I'll give it a shot. Definitely let us know how it works out for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It works for some, not so much for others, from what I've heard. In theory, it seems like a great idea, especially for single working people that don't have the time to meet other (quality) single working people. If that makes sense. Also, sometimes the trick is to just stop looking... there are attractive, intelligent, single girls out there... trust me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh boy, have I ever done the online dating. I didn't find anyone in six months, but after about four months of really trying I sort of gave up. Dating lots of different people is exhausting, and the bad dates usually outnumber the good ones, but I'm sure if you stick with it you'll have a REALLY good one sooner or later.
    My only advice is that you stick with your gut feelings about a person, and don't just meet anyone. You might get burned out this way (which is what happened to me). Also, don't do an enormous amount of chatting/emailing before you meet. I've found that people can be decietfully charming in text. Thus, if you spend too long talking to them before the first date you'll usually be disappointed. You've usually built up some unrealistically amazing picture of them by the time you meet. Just go get coffee, if there's a spark go out for lunch a few days later. If not, let it drop and move on FAST. No one's feelings are hurt by this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh boy have a tried online dating!! It sucks!!!

    eHarmony is a waste of time and money IMO.

    My friend and I were gonna try CBD!! We just havent' set it up yet. Have you been to OKCupid.com? It's pretty cool, it's fun and more laid-back than eHarmony. I've met a couple of cool guys there, may want to give it shot. Plus it's free!!

    Good luck on your search, I totally feel you!

    ReplyDelete