Sunday, August 2, 2009

Critical Mass & More



Do you like riding your bike? Do you like meeting people? Then you should see if Critical Mass occurs in your town. This past Friday was my first. More or less, on the last Friday of each month somewhere between 1,000 and 2,000 bicyclers (as well as some people who longboard/rollerblade) meet up to ride together in the street. Supposedly, July and August call on the most people, and this one was fun. You get to talk about bikes (or whatever) with friendly people and take a little tour around Chicago. I even met a girl there, but I was too afraid to ask for her number. Maybe she'll show up next time.

The rest of the weekend has been uneventful. I saw the White Sox kill the Yankees, to my disappointment, but their stadium looks awesome.

I'm not sure if it's because I've been watching a lot of relationship-y type shows lately (HIMYM and Skins), but I still keep getting that anxious feeling when I see girls who I would want to try meeting. I wonder if it ever goes away. I feel like in one way or another I've asked some guy friends to help me out at bars, but they don't seem to want to. For instance, I think Rob (with his girlfriend of like 3 years) would rather just hang out with his friends and not be bothered with any of that. Perfectly acceptable. So that puts me still fighting for myself, but really not taking any action.

Back to the topic of TV shows--Do you think that the writing in a lot of these romantic sitcoms is realistic of dating life for the majority of America? Do many girls find Ted Mosby's corny jokes funny? Or find him attractive? Granted, I love the show, but sometimes I wonder if it's setting up a false reality where my own life doesn't stack up or if it's supposed to give me some hope that you can be really average looking and tell stupid jokes but still appear attractive. Which do you think it is?

3 comments:

  1. I don't know if I find Ted's jokes funny, but I find them cute, if a guy were to tell me them I would definitely talk to him more, also not every guy is a supermodel average looking guys get married all the time, not that I know if you are average looking or just putting yourself down.

    But yeah, I think it can happen but you also have to know that some girls don't like the "Teds" of the world, so it's all up in the air haha.

    Man, that cleared up nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to a critical mass in my college town, so fun, recommend it for everyone!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember seeing critical mass posters at my college town but never went. Maybe I'll look for it in my current city. It sounds fun!

    I agree with Jeanette. Some girls like the Teds. Others don't.
    Also, average-looking doesn't mean average-person. I'm attracted to a person as a whole. Looks are only one part of the equation.

    ReplyDelete