Sunday, April 12, 2009

Scenesters and Douches

Scenester

Despite the fact that the company I work for furloughed eight days of pay out of the last two months of 2008, we got Good Friday as a paid vacation day. What I did during the day isn't really worth mentioning. I did turn my bike from fly wheel to fixed gear, and it's harder than I thought it would be. At night, my friend from UK Village (I'll just call him Kumar) and I went to the Crystal Castles show that I'd mentioned. Needless to say, it was packed with scenesters, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. The show itself was good, albeit a little short. To CC's defense, they played probably 10 or so of the 17 songs they actually have. While we were there, Kumar and I talked to a few of the scenesters who were pretty cool. They won points for their love of David Bowie. After the show, Kumar and I told the girl that we were going back to UK Village and they should join. We got the typical "We'll See" and left it at that. Later that night, we went to the local bar and ended up seeing the girls. They were actually there to meet someone else, but we ended up talking for the rest of the night. I ended up trading phone numbers with one of the girls. She wasn't great looking (kind of cute, though), but I'll probably give her a call in the coming weeks.


Douchebags


Saturday led to pretty much nothing happening all day until the nighttime. Kumar was out of town, as well as a different friend, so my only option (though I would've done it anyway) was to go out with some friends in Wrigleyville, the worst neighborhood in the city. I often vocalize my hatred for this neighborhood particularly because it mixes my hatred for the Cubs and my hatred (no, but general dislike) of all the douchebags who walk around wearing Affliction t shirts but miraculously getting girls' attention. So spending time with my two friends (one guy, one girl) is always pretty fun, but I felt like trying to meet some girls who I would actually be attracted to. I feel like most of the girls on Wrigleyville/Lincoln Park may be smart, but they don't really act like it. For the most part, though, they're just Corny White Girls. So for the rest of the night I talked with some halfway hipster girls who were in town from St. Louis to see the Lily Allen show tonight. They were pretty nice, and, as usual, the attractive one had a boyfriend.

So that was my weekend. Not too awesome, but not bad at all.

If you're out meeting girls (or are a girl) what's the first line you generally say/hear? A compliment, or just random (where are you from)? I think I usually go w/ asking where people are from, unless I'm at an event like live music.

No comments:

Post a Comment