Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Credit Card Debt: It's a Bitch

Where Did It All Go?


Does anyone else here haaate owing money for things, but still can't stop buying worthless things? That's me. I have a condition called Non-Buyers'-Remorse. Basically, I'm never unhappy with crap I buy. It's always fun, and seemingly never a deterrent from the whole "I'll probably hate it in 6 months."

Well my condition has led me to amass a manageable, but larger than I'd like, credit card bill. The average credit card debt per household has been marked at $10,679! We've gotta get out of this mess. Being the super nerd that I am, I built a spreadsheet in Excel to forecast payments and find out how soon I can get my balance to zero. Right now, it's looking like my June 3rd paycheck will do it, but that means I absolutely can't buy any (more) items over $100 or so. I budgeted money for going out on the weekend, though.

After playing around with the budgeted numbers, I found that the June 3 date looked pretty steady as long as I paid 75% of my leftover paycheck after expenses. That means that the main thing killing me was randomly buying shoes/clothes/records when I was bored. I'll be pretty happy to be out of this debt because I saw how much I can save once I'm actually out of debt. Likely only to spend more....

Do you have a bunch of CC debt? What's your best idea to get out of it?

No comments:

Post a Comment